Monday, June 23, 2008

Week 9: D-Day

D-Day was today .. Dishwasher Day. While it is a well known fact that Lucy's favorite appliance is the dishwasher (she would literally climb fully into it to lick out all of the food gunk if we would only let her). Matt and I both agree, that the Dishwasher is by far our favorite "convenience" appliance.

See, I consider the following appliances in the "necessary" category:
- Refrigerator

- Clothes Washer
- One cooking appliance (cooktop, oven, grill, OR microwave)



And there is the category of "convenience" appliances ... ones you COULD live without, but really don't want to:
- Dishwasher

- Clothes Dryer
- The other cooking appliances that you don't have (just one of them is necessary, the others are convenience)
- Water Filter

- Wine Chiller/ Beverage Cooler
- Garbage Disposer
- Trash Compactor
- Etc, etc, etc.

Dishwasher, definitely #1. You DON'T know what you got till it's gone ... I love the dishwasher.

Also today, they started on the tile backsplash! Yeah!! I'm very excited about this part! I love it, love it, love it. They'll be back tomorrow to do the grout. Yippee!!






Here's a little closer shot. Also, as you can see in this pix, we have a sink that works! Yeah for the sink!







On the subject of plumbing, the dishwasher was supposed to be installed last Friday at the same time that the sink, cooktop, and refer water were all hooked up ... because that's the type of work plumbers DO in the kitchen. HOWEVER, plumbers, or at least our plumbers, are not the best problem solvers. See, the cabinet guys drilled some holes in the base of our cabinets so that the plumbers could snake the drains from the sink, around the corner, and to the dishwasher. They pulled a rope thru the holes before the granite was put on so that the plumbers could tie the rope to the hoses and pull them thru the holes. Sounds simple enough. Ah, the best laid plans .... the rope got stuck underneath some part of the cabinet and could not be pulled thru the holes. So the plumber yanked on the rope even harder and made it even more stucker. Farking brilliant! So, they threw up their hands and called it a day.

It took me 30 minutes and 2 rigged up wire coat hangers to figure out how to get a new rope thru the hole. Now I'd like to think that I'm a genius, but really, it wasn't that tough to figure out. So, whatever, we didn't have a dishwasher this weekend ... but we were used to that.

In other news last week, the squirrelly electrician returned and was supposed to hook up the oven, installed a telephone jack, and install the pendant lights.

Let's start with my pendant lights. I've hemmed and hawed over these dang pendant lights for too many hours. I thought I found some that I liked at Hubbach's, and then I found out they were $500, each. No Thank You!! So, I went to this wonderful store in New Albany ... PC Building to buy some coat hooks, and while I was there I decided to browse their pendant lights. The very helpful lady in the lighting department showed me some closeout pendants (pictured at left) ... $6 each. Yeah, $6. I'm 99% sure that the gas to ship them to New Albany, IN cost more than that. So, I said "sign me up" ... if I happen to fall into a pile of money and want to buy something else later, I'll do that, but for now these are abby fab.


Next, the phone jack. Installed, works fine, no problemo senior.

And that brings us to the wall oven. Two steps forward ... one step back. Long story short, the floor got a bit scraped up when the oven was dragged into the kitchen. Good thing the floor guys have to come back anyway to fix a few other things anyway. Then, the oven doesn't fit into the cabinet ... it's about 1/16" too tall for the opening. So we have to wait for the cabinet guy to increase the size of the opening a bit. The oven is in it's place for now, but it's sticking out about 6" from where it should be.

Oh, and also last week, phase 3 of the painting process was completed. I never knew there were so many steps to painting, but apparently there are ...

Step 1: Prime walls (note, primer color may not even resemble the final wall color, so don't be alarmed when your "Ruskin Room Green" walls are the color of the 1970's Avocado Green appliances)
Step 2: Paint walls and patch up some spots with white patch ... over the paint
Step 3: Paint trim and the walls, again
Step 4: Come back again and fix the spots that the other contractors dinged up

I suppose this process is not that unlike the floor guys' process. Multi-phased. They could stand to streamline this process a wee bit.

Also, I've been picture happy the past week or so. Here are links to ...
Father's Day
Matt's Birthday
Neil Kremer's Wedding

More later ... I don't want to jinx myself, but I do believe that I get to put stuff in the cabinets after tomorrow. And anyone that knows me well enough knows that I am REALLY excited about being able to organize these cabinets :)

No comments: